Friday, January 28, 2011

First Sourdough loaf

Yesterday evening I took the starter out of the fridge and after about two hours I fed it, without discarding any because I knew I needed 2C for my recipe. So I fed it 3oz of water, 1oz rye, and 2oz flour and left it sit overnight. Here is what it looked like about noon when I started measuring out my 2C.

Recipe:
2C starter
4t sugar
2t salt
3C more or less of flour

I only got about two cups of flour in before it started to get angry at me, so I stopped there, rounded it out, through it in a bowl and started to play the waiting game. Around 4pm I decided it had doubled in size and shaped it. Threw it in a slightly warm oven with a bowl of hot water and waited another hour and half. Removed the bowl of water and plastic wrap. Gave it a very light coat of olive oil and turned the oven on 350. Kept an eye on it, turned it at about 15 minutes or so. Let the other side brown up and foiled the top and turned the oven down to 325 and cooked it another 15-20 or so. Overall the bread is rather dense, and I should have used less flour and/or had more moisture. Flavor wise it is good, tons of flavor.





No comments:

Post a Comment