Saturday, January 8, 2011

Whole-Wheat Cinnamon Bread


I saw this recipe in the Food Network magazine (January/February 2011) and had to try it. Very easy, and very tasty. The original recipe has raisins, but I left them out because I don't like raisins in my bread. I also turned this bread into french toast a few days later, amazing.

2 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1 large egg
2 T canola oil, plus more for brushing
3 T honey
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
cooking spray
1 T plus 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 c packed brown sugar

1. Check your yeast's directions on water temp, the recipe says 120-130 degrees but my yeast said 100-110, so I followed the yeast packet and heated 1 1/4 cups water to about 110 and added my yeast. While I let that sit, I sifted my two flours and dry milk and set aside. In a separate bowl I combined the honey, egg, oil, and salt, and lightly mixed.
2. After 5-10 minutes the yeast should start floating to the top and look foamy. Once this happens put your sifted flours into your mixing bowl, add all the wet ingredients and the water yeast mixture. With dough hook mix on slowest speed for 3 minutes. Turn up to second speed for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer dough to large bowl sprayed with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature for about one and half to two hours. If your house is on the colder or warmer side your bread will take longer/faster. Mine is on the colder side so I turn on the oven for about 15 seconds just to get a little heat in there, and put my bread in there to rise.
4. Transfer the dough to a floured surface, pat gently to a loose square shape. Lift up one side of the dough and fold about one-third of it across toward the center; press down on the dough to remove air bubbles. Repeat with the remaining three sides. Divide the dough in half.
5. Lightly spray two 9x5 loaf pans. Roll out each half into an 8 inch square. Brush with canola oil, then sprinkle with cinnamon, then brown sugar. Roll up each square into a tight cylinder and place seam side down in loaf pans. Cover again with plastic wrap and let rise another hour and half or so, when touched the dough should spring back.
6. Heat oven to 375, brush loaves with canola oil and bake until golden brown, about 20-25minutes. Let sit a few minutes then remove from pans to cooling rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment