Friday, January 11, 2013

Whole30 Day 1

First day! Feeling pretty good, and excited to try this whole thing out. I won't be going too crazy with the words here, just a few thoughts and feelings or changes I encounter along my journey. I won't have recipes everyday as I work 12 hour shifts and will be on left overs, but on my days off I try my best to post what I'm trying. I cut out all sugar a week ago, and already had a mild withdrawal from it, so I am hoping this wont be too difficult. Just bothersome difficult, then awesome! Heres to healthy eating! Original recipe:

Whole30 version: Here

4 chicken thighs, or whatever chicken you prefer, the total weight was just under 2lbs


In the bowl:
Juice from half a lemon
3 garlic cloves
1T Coconut oil, warm slightly to melt if needed
1t salt
1t fresh thyme, off the stems finely chopped

In the crockpot:
Juice from other half of lemon, plus rinds, quartered
4 or 5 garlic cloves, whole. Skin on or off, your choice
1 cube veggie bouillon
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2T coconut aminos
1/4c chicken stock

2 sprigs rosemary, left out until last 30minutes of cooking

Rinse chicken off with cool water and run pieces through the herbs and oil that were placed in the bowl, if skin is on be sure to get some of the mixture between skin and meat.
If using a whole chicken place the lemon quarters, a few garlic cloves and some sprigs in the cavity before placing in crockpot.
Cook on high for 4 hours or until done. Mine took about two hours, 165 internal temp.
Let chicken rest for 15-20 minutes before eating. If you wish to make gravy do this now but substitute the 1/4C flour with almond meal or anything Whole30 friendly.


Notes:
The original recipe called for a whole chicken but I chose chicken thighs.
I also used veggie bouillon because I could not find a chicken version that did not contain sugar. Be careful when buying chicken stock as well, hidden sugar!
I did not with hold rosemary until last 30 minutes of cooking, mainly because I forgot, but I don't feel it took away from over all flavor.
Once chicken hit temp I put them under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp skin up, then rested for twenty minutes.

I accompanied the chicken with roasted broccoli and sweet potatoes. Both lightly tossed with olive oil and salt.


No comments:

Post a Comment